- Red quinoa is a protein-packed whole grain.
- It was eaten by Inca warriors who felt that it gave them added energy and strength when they were out at war. They worshipped the red seeds.
- Red quinoa contains high quantities of magnesium, manganese, copper, iron and phosphorous.
- Red quinoa is rich in lysine, an essential amino acid. Lysine helps with tissue repair and growth.
- It helps to regulate blood sugar levels.
- Quinoa contains high protein and fiber which slows gastric emptying, making you feel fuller and more satisfied than white rice.
- Red quinoa is rich in iron and contains only healthy unsaturated fat that helps to keep cholesterol levels low and helps maintain heart health.
- The high manganese content helps to regulate blood sugar levels and maintain strong and healthy bones. It is easy to digest and being low in the glycemic index makes it a great meal for diabetics.
- Rinse thoroughly
- Add water to quinoa in a 2:1 ratio
- Boil the mixture and then reduce to low heat
- Allow it to simmer – cover and cook for about 15 min or until liquid is absorbed
- Let the quinoa cool down for 5 min
- Fluff with a fork and serve
- It can be used to prepare salads, soups, and vegetable cakes
- It is used as a substitute of rice
Quinoa Pizza Bowl
- Thoroughly rinse 1 cup of quinoa
- Boil 2 cups of water
- Add quinoa to the boiling water
- Simmer for ~15 mins
- Half cover the vessel with a lid In 15-20 mins the quinoa will form a ring around it, indicating it’s prepared
- Turn off the stove
- Add 1/4 cup of pizza sauce to the quinoa
- Take a bowl and add pizza sauce to it
- Add 5 tablespoons of quinoa
- Add a layer of cheese
- Add veggie – onions, colourful bell pepper, tomatoes, olives, jalapeños, mushrooms
- Add oregano, dried basil, and chill flakes
- Add another layer of cheese
- Microwave it for 1 min or bake it till you see the cheese melt
- Top it with some fresh basil Voila, your quinoa pizza bowl is ready!